Tip 22: List Hygiene
Your database (or house list) comprises your "crown jewels" because
it can outdraw outside lists by a factor of up to 10. Keep it clean by:
- Assigning one person (the database manager) to monitor the entry and update
of all names on a consistent basis.
- Sending a postcard to the list to get updated information before your
more expensive promotion campaign starts.
- Sending the address portion of the list for National Change of Address
(NCOA) updating twice a year (see www.usps.com).
- Sending the phone/fax number portion to an area code correction service.
We recommend Expert Database Marketing (see www.expertx.com).
- Using a service to keep your e-mail list up to date (and to infill those
e-addresses you don't have). We recommend EContacts-Find (see www.econtacts.com).
- Purging the list once a year of anyone who has not responded within the
past 24 months.