Tip 49: How to Get the Dates You Want
You would think date availability would have gotten better in this economic
downturn; but that is not yet the case. Till that occurs, here are some tips
on getting the right dates for your show (thanks to Tony Shaw):
- Buy someone off. Approach the first option holder and offer
them an incentive to move their dates or to release some space to you.
- Pay early. Offer a nice big prepayment to the facility
to flush out the "tentative holds."
- Book late. Risky, but we expect a number of shows will cancel or cut back
their space this year thus freeing up some dates.
- Take less desirable dates, such as the week of Labor Day
or early December.
- Consider second tier cities. Especially if you have a loyal
base, being in less accessible locales may not hurt your attendance.
- Stay with your friends. If you are a hotel show, use one
chain exclusively and work through your national sales rep.