Tip 56: Attendance Promotion
(This material is taken from the audio tape on Attendance
Promotion for Trade Shows given by Michael Hough.)
Take a "holistic" approach to attendance promotion, meaning –
- Enlist everyone on the show team to contribute (sales, conference
and even ops).
- Use many influencers to help, including associations, magazines,
- Push all available buttons (PR, direct mail, e-marketing,
- Make a continuous year-round effort, but especially from 13
weeks right up to the show.
Here are some other tips:
- Focus on the 20% of the universe that will generate 80% of
- E-mail is an excellent way to communicate with existing prospects
but not a good way to get new prospects.
- Make warm—rather than cold—telemarketing calls (such
as to past attendees and inquirers).
- Bribe attendees to come to the show and also to go onto the